Saturday, April 23, 2011

Breakfast Bacon & Egg *Pie*

Perfect breakfast treat
I've said this before but I love Donna Hay and her Fast, Fresh, Simple cookbook. It's just beautiful to look at plus the recipes are super easy to make. It makes a perfect gift or just a treat for yourself. One of the first recipes I bookmarked to try was the Bacon & Egg Pie. Now, it's not a pie. There is no pastry, but you can cook it in a pie tin and it stays together like a pie. I've made this previously for a Sunday breakfast and today I made it to welcome my husband's parents who are visiting us here in Thailand for the week. This is child and adult friendly and seriously easy and delicious!

*apologies about the photos, my main camera ran out of battery.

Ingredients
Here's what you need: (will make 4 *pies*)
6 rashes thinly sliced bacon. Take off the rind.
6 eggs
1 cup (240g) of creme fraiche (or sour cream)
2 tablespoons of flat parsley leaf (I used chives this time)






Here's what you do: 

Get all your ingredients out ready and turn the oven on to 180C. Use butter or spray to grease 4 pie tins or ramekin dishes. I used ceramic ramekin dishes as that's what I have in my cupboards. I also found that the pies pop straight of the ceramic dishes but stuck to the sides of my glass ramekin dish.

Ready to pop in the oven
Line the ramekin dish with the bacon strips (1.5 rashes fits around nicely) and gently push the bacon to the edges to keep it in place. Put the eggs, creme fraiche, parsley in a bowl and use a whisk to mix together. Keep whisking until all lumps from the creme fraiche disappear. Share out the mix evenly between your 4 dishes and then bake in the oven for 25minutes. The mix will rise quite high and look fluffy.

Take them out of the oven and using a table knife run along the edges to loosen any egg or bacon attached to the sides. If you used a ceramic dish or pie tin they should just pop out. If not, carefully work them out of the dish with the knife. Use an oven glove as the dish will be hot.

I served them on top of half a toasted english muffin and added a few strawberries. Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment