Tuesday, May 3, 2011

Coconut Chocolate Slice (egg free)

Won't last long
I made this slice to bring to lunch with friends today and also because it's one of my favourite slices. It is the first slice I ever made as teenager. I have no idea where the recipe comes from but I haven't changed it throughout the years. I was tempted to add some crushed cornflakes just for a change but I just love it the way it is. Apparently the recipe makes 30 pieces but I tend to cut the slice into bigger portions and it is usually all gone in 2 days! This recipe made 24 pieces (well ok, about 28, but there are now 24 in the container).

Here's what you need for slice:
1.5 cup flour (I used self-raising, but have used plain before. I might use wholewheat next time)
1 cup brown sugar (you can use caster sugar too)
1/3 cup cocoa powder
1 1/3 cup dessicated coconut
240g, melted & cooled butter (it's important to let the butter cool before adding)
1 tsp vanilla extract

Pat the mix down evenly
For the icing:
2 cups icing sugar
1/3 cup cocoa powder
60g melted butter
2-3 tbspn hot water

Here's what you do:
Preheat the oven to 180C, grease & line a baking tray and melt the butter. Set the butter aside for it to cool. Mix all the dry ingredients in a bowl. Keep turning the mix over, making sure to blend the ingredients well. When the butter is cool add it and the vanilla extract. I stir the butter in for a bit but then use my hands to mix everything together. Use your hands to place the mix in your tray and spread out evenly. Bake for about 15-20mins, or place a toothpick in and when it's clean, take it out.

Leave the slice to cool completely, Make and spread the icing out and then sprinkle with coconut on the top. Cut into servings. I keep the slice in a tupperware container in the fridge due to the heat. If you have any variations to this recipe I'd love to know. Enjoy!

an old favourite

1 comment:

  1. I have a friend who doesn't have egg so this was perfect! I also put some frozen berries into the mix.. yum! Thanks heaps. Abi Skelly

    ReplyDelete