Monday, April 18, 2011

Five! Vegetable Rissoles

I just made these rissoles up for Oscar's lunch today and they are great. So many variations possible and I think next time I will add some chicken. The recipe was adapted from Annabel Karmel's fantastic cookbook, New Complete Baby & Toddler Meal Planner, which I've mentioned before is a favourite. The only change I would make to this recipe is to slightly cook the broccoli first before adding to the frypan as they were still a bit crunchy at the end.

The recipe made 6 medium sized rissoles which I have frozen.

Here's what'll you need:

Ingredients
3 medium potatoes or 300g                
25g butter        
50g sweetcorn  
50g broccoli florets chopped up small              
1 small onion, peeled and chopped      
1 garlic clove crushed                          
6 mushrooms or 75g                            
1 medium carrot, peeled & grated        
vegetable oil for frying  
1 teaspoon soy sauce        
flour for coating
1 egg, beaten
75g breadcrumbs
75g grated cheese (I used cheddar, recipe suggests Gruyere)    

Here's what you do:    
The mixture 

Peel and boil the potatoes under tender (for about 10-15mins), wait for them to cool (unlike me who literally kept dropping a hot potato) and then grate them using a cheese grater. Keep to the side.

Melt the butter in a frypan and cook the onion, garlic and broccoli for about 4 minutes or until they become soft. I think I needed to do this for longer though as my broccoli were still a bit crunchy. Add the mushrooms and cook till they shrink a bit then add the grated carrot and cook for about 2mins more. Add the sweetcorn and cook for 1 more minute.

Mix in the grated potato, cheese, soy sauce and salt & pepper if you like. I never add any salt but it's up to you. You mixture will become almost gooey like, perfect for shaping into rissoles.
Ready for frying

Take the mixture off the heat and allow it to cool (again, I am an impatient cook and didn't listen to my own advice). Using your hands, mould the mixture into 6 rissole shapes. Make sure to pack down the ingredients, otherwise they will fall apart. Roll each rissole in flour, dip it in the egg and then coat with breadcrumbs. 

Heat the vegetable oil in a fry pan and cook the rissoles until crisp. Enjoy!


Oscar eating his rissole with baked beans

No comments:

Post a Comment