Tuesday, May 10, 2011

Apple & Carrot Muffins

Crunchy carrot & apple muffins
This recipe came across my Twitter feed a few days ago and comes from this website. It caught my eye because of the carrot. Carrot in muffins? It all sounded too healthy for me as I prefer chocolate sweets like this slice and or these wontons. But as I like Oscar to eat healthy snacks I decided to try them.

I also decided to stick to the recipe completed. I was tempted to leave out the sugar and salt, and add half the uneaten banana Oscar left on the bench but as it's my first time making them I wanted to know what they should taste like before I experiment. The recipe made exactly 12 medium muffins and I've put some in the freezer.

Combine wet & dry ingredients in separate bowls
Here's what you need:
1 1/4 cup wholewheat flour
1/4 cup sugar
1 tspn cinnamon
1/2 tspn baking powder
1/2 tpsn baking soda
1/4 tspn salt
1 cup grated carrot (I grated it fine)
1/2 cup apple sauce
2 lighly beaten eggs
1/4 cup milk
1/4 cup canola oil
1 tspn vanilla extract

Here's what you do:
Preheat oven to 180C and grease a muffin tray. Mix together all the dry ingredients in one bowl (flour, sugar, cinnamon, powder, soda, salt). In a separate bowl mix together all the other ingredients. Add half the 'wet' ingredients to the bowl with the dry mix. Blend together well, then mix in the other half of wet ingredients. Fill each muffin hole to 2/3 and bake in the oven for 20mins. They didn't rise as high as I thought they might but are actually quite nice, even a little crunchy. I would eat them warm, enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment