Tuesday, May 3, 2011

Sweet Potato & Chicken Stew - Slow Cooker

Sweet Potato & Chicken Stew
Ok, last year I bought my husband a slow cooker for Father's Day. Some might say that is a lame present but I also bought him some of those waterproof travel bags you can take kayaking etc so I think it balanced out. Since the date of purchase however we have used the slow cooker a grand total of... once, and I can't even remember what we made.

The reason for this is because I am a slow cooker skeptic. I just don't understand how it all works and find it hard to believe that in 7 hours all those raw ingredients will produce a beautiful stew. It also doesn't help that I look through the glass lid every 20 minutes or so and see that nothing has happened.

I find it a bit boring BUT can see the enormous benefits. So today I decided to take out the slow cooker and give a new recipe a try. Nothing too fancy but delicious just the same and it allowed me to indulge my sweet potato/kumara obsession. The recipe below would serve 4.


Here's what you need:
2 medium orange sweet potatoes, peeled & cut into chunks
2 brushed potatoes, peeled & cut into quarters
everything in
2 medium carrots, peeled & cut in chunks
6 chicken drumsticks, skin removed (or as many as you need)
2 garlic cloves, crushed
1 cup chicken stock (I used store bought because I was lazy)
1 can of whole tomatoes
2 tbspn flour
2 tbspn fresh thyme
salt to your liking (I didn't salt mine but should have)

7 hours to go
Here's what you do:
Put everything in the slow cooker and give it a quick stir. Put the lid on and set the time for 7 1/2 hours and cook on low. If you want it faster set cook temperature to high for 5 hours. How easy is that!

We made some rice in the rice cooker to serve it with when time was up. I shredded the chicken from the bone (it just fell off), scooped up the vegetables and poured some of the stew over it all. My son ate it up as well and it was pretty tasty. Enjoy!

2 comments:

  1. That looks really yum! How do you find the cuisinart cooker? Is it the kind that the insert can go on the stove? I think Breville make one like that.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like the Cusinart cooker but have only used it twice! It is very simple and easy to clean. The insert can go in the oven but not the lid. The stew was tasty and I will definitely use the slow cooker more often.

    ReplyDelete